Tuesday, December 08, 2009

How to Write Fast

A Getaway Place*

I've proven to myself recently, with little exercises in short stories, that I can write relatively fast. I finished an 1800+ words story in one brief sitting. And I've proven that I can deliver a thousand words in a couple hours consistently.

The key? Allow myself to write utter crap. It doesn't all come out crap, of course. But I have to proceed as if it's gonna be. And I have to be comfortable with that.

I don't feel like I can get where I want to go as a writer (successful publication tied to an income that means something) without learning to write relatively fast. This exercise has real meaning.

So far, through the eight days of December, I've managed to allow myself to write junk. I've delivered the word count I was shooting for, and I've done it with a quality that doesn't make me want to hurl.

Not a bad start to what I hope will be a meaningful habit as I plow into the new year.


* Balboa island has always been a little spiritual escape for me. Love the ocean. Love the sunsets. Love ferry rides and barking sea lions.

No comments:

A Short Story (and more to come) at Amazon

Agendas: a short story